Saturday, March 5, 2011

Journal 1


I started to learn English when I was in Primary 3. At that time, I was quite confused because I didn’t have any basic knowledge about English. Even though I was so blind in English, I find it fun to learn English. Maybe because the teacher was also very kind and she always supported me. She also gave me a recommended place to take an English course.
            In my school, all of my classmates were also newbies in English. It made me a bit happy, because I thought I was not the only one that left behind. The classroom atmosphere at that time was just so so. There was not much decoration and other eye-catchy stuffs. I was having fun when I studied because the lesson was really interactive. It’s not only about hearing the teacher’s speech, but also sometimes there were some kind of games.
            In the early days, I used to learn in different styles. When the teacher taught me about the Basic English Grammar, I thought it was more like behavioristic paradigm. Because at that time, I focused on publicly observable responses. The lesson can be objectively perceived, recorded, and measured. In cognitive way, my teacher was kind of scary. But that motivated me to learn harder because I didn’t want to get scolded. Meanwhile, in constructivist perspectives, I interacted with my teachers and friends by communicating in English.
            At that time, my teacher’s teaching method was a bit old school. She taught me in a strict way. She used a kind of psychology method to affect the students. In one way, I tended to learn harder because I didn’t want to get scolded. On the other hand, It gave me a negative effect too. I became passive because I was too scared to even ask a simple question to the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment