Saturday, March 5, 2011

Advertisement Can be Deceiving


Advertising can Influence Consumers to Buy What They Don’t Need

            I admit that advertising can influence consumers to buy what they don’t need. In my case, I do really love gadgets. I always try to get a new gadget that is still hot in the market. Sometimes, when I’m already getting bored of the gadget, I won’t use it again. It’s just my curiosity to try a new gadget that drives me to buy it. But after a month, I start to neglect it.
            The first gadget I bought at that time was iPod nano. Well, you know it’s an mp3 player that has a stylish design. But, do I really need it? I mean, if I want to play mp3 or music files, I think my cell phone is more than enough. But, because of the hypnotize from the advertisement, I tend to buy it. Not a long time after I bought my iPod nano, a new model came out. This time it was iPod Touch, which was served us with a lot of new features such as touch screen, Wi-Fi, etc. And then, I saw the advertisement on TV.
            I admit that advertising can influence consumers to buy what they don’t need. Just like what I’ve done. I had an iPod nano, but I want the iPod Touch. If we try to think further, what is the basic function of the iPod? It’s just to play mp3/music files right? But, again, because of the great advertisement of iPod Touch, it hypnotized me to buy it. The new features looked really cool and I just felt like I wanted to hold it in my hand. And then I bought it. It made me being a consumerism.
            The first few weeks, I was really satisfied with the iPod. This was really a cool gadget. But several weeks later, I started getting bored to it. It’s already the time that I would neglect this thing. I just used it for about a month and I already got bored. I realized that I’ve just been hypnotized by the ads and now I regret it. I thought I could use the money for a better purpose.
            Because of the advertising, we could waste our money to buy the product instead of primary needs. According to my experience, when I have a great sum of money in my hand, it’s really dangerous for me. Why? Because when I look at the ads, I started to think to use the money to buy the product on the TV. Not long ago, when I had a great sum of money in my hand actually to pay college fees, I was almost hypnotized to buy playstation3 because of the ads. Can you imagine if I use that money to buy playstation3? I won’t be here in class for today...
            Well, in the end, it depends on the people to protect themselves from such desires to buy things they don’t need. If you can carefully select the things that you really need to buy, you will not be regretting it. I know it’d be hard to avoid the desires to buy things from the ads, but if we’ve already become a consumerism person, it would lead us to being poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment